Reading and Dating

6 May

photo-253

I’m dating someone.

I never mention these things on my blog, and for good reason, but I’m dating someone and he loves to cook and I love to read.  And so whenever we get the chance, he cooks me some fabulous gourmet meal of my choice, and I sit on the counter with a Diet Coke and I read to him.

Sometimes it’s the book I’m reading at the time and I have to catch him up and give him context, and sometimes it’s one of my favorites because he says he wants to know the books that shaped me and he means it.

At the moment we are tackling Anne of Green Gables.  My Marilla Cuthbert voice is pretty on point, I must say.

Then again, I think most of my voices are pretty on point.  I’ve certainly had enough reading-out-loud practice.

This dating boy and I have settled into a routine these days.  We go shopping.  He complains about the lack of cheese/meat/DON’T ASK ME I DON’T COOK at the local grocery store.  I assure him I don’t care as long as he gets the lemon for my Diet Coke .  He starts to cook, the onion and garlic sizzling.  My voice grows as I become the romantical Anne with an e. He tells me I’m adorable when I get excited about books because I have my comments and voices and giggles.

And I pause, oh once a page or so, for an aside.  ”Did you ever have an imaginary friend like Katie Maurice or Violetta?”  ”I want to move to Prince Edward Island for a summer, say this summer?”  ”I hope my daughter is just like her one day.  Can I force this to happen?”

And then we eat the delicious dinner together.  And he does the dishes and I do my voices.  And then we go on a walk or eat some ice cream or watch some Frasier or all of the above.

It’s so simple.

No hurt.  No tears.  No drama.

It’s so simple and yet it feels so big, you know?

I have no idea what will happen with us, me and this boy who is making me so happy.  A lot of significant changes are about to occur in my life, not to mention that with this particular boy there are all sorts of inborn struggles in our relationship, but I do know this:

Whoever I end up with, we’re reading aloud together.

We’re reading aloud together or he’s the wrong guy for me.

Oh, but it’s really good with this one.

I’m dating someone and it’s really, really good with this one.

Bookmark and Share

12 Responses to “Reading and Dating”

1. Rhonda May 6, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

That is awesome :) It sounds like a really great match and I hope it works out for you long term, but even if it doesn’t, it’s wonderful how much you’re obviously loving it now :)

…my husband used to read aloud to me. We had a long distance relationship to start, and having him read to me over the phone really helped during the times I missed him the most. :)

2. Macy May 6, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

This is wonderful! I am so happy for you. I sometimes read to my boyfriend, but he doesn’t enjoy reading as much as I do so it’s more of a one way street ;)

3. Nadine May 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

You are such a beautiful writer. This sounded like a romantic comedy. It also really made me want to read out loud more. N and I read out loud in the car to each other when the other one is driving but never at home. Maybe we should try it.

4. Rose May 7, 2014 at 3:58 am #

Cute!

5. Amy @ Long Drive Journey May 7, 2014 at 4:49 am #

Just found your blog through Helene in Between. This is the cutest story, and I had to leave a comment and let you know. I don’t think I’ve ever read aloud to someone, unless you count reading to the class in the third grade. Sounds like you two have a nice thing going on. You had me at, “He does the dishes.”

6. Courtney May 7, 2014 at 7:09 am #

Hi! I found your blog through Back East Blonde this morning, and I just had to drop by and say how ob-sessed I am. Like a Mariah Carey song based on Mean Girls, I am hooked.

So. Um. Yeah.

The thing that really intrigued me was that you’re getting your MFA in Screenwriting, which is something I’ve been thinking about so much lately. I graduated from my undergrad in December and even though I had always thought Masters were overrated, I find myself browsing Pepperdine and USC’s programs a few times a week, dreaming about making the move from the Midwest to California, even though I’ve never been west of Chicago. So, to be able to read about your perspective on how California/writing changed your life speaks so much to me. I’ve read about three or four pages of your blog so far and have truly enjoyed every second. You make me want to take the plunge and just apply, come what may. Thanks for helping give a little purpose to this hazy time post-grad when things are awkward and stilted.

Also, this post, in particular, was so well-written and I’m pretty sure the line “It’s so simple and yet feels so big” will be sticking with me for a while.

Have the best day!

• jillianlorraine May 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Thank you so much! I love meeting fellow writer/dreamers. One of my best friends in the MFA program, Hilary, came from the Midwest and she’s totally hooked on writing and California now.

7. Alexandra May 7, 2014 at 7:24 am #

This actually made me giddy to read. I could feel the cohesiveness of this connection through your words. Awesome post :)

8. Helene May 7, 2014 at 9:32 am #

well that sounds just about perfect to me. and he does the dishes? keeper.

9. Canadian Expat Mom May 8, 2014 at 2:10 am #

That new relationship feeling is so exciting!! Enjoy every second :)

10. Linnea May 14, 2014 at 8:16 pm #

OMG. I love this so much, because I read out loud to Jeff all the time, and read him Anne of Green Gables early on in our marriage.

He sounds perfect, Jill. :)

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Jillian Sodding Denning | hilly miller - November 6, 2014

[…] friends starting bubbling to the surface. Before we knew it, we were planning wardrobe choices for our trip to Prince Edward Island. (Lots of gauze and puffed […]